HOLI is a festival of Colors & Love! People spend the day smearing coloured powder and throwing coloured water at each other. You just can’t avoid such beautiful colours, parties and fun! Can you?, Everyone loves watching those colourful happy faces but the end of the day, we are left with dirty nails, messed up skin, rough hair and many breakouts!
Don’t worry! Below are some useful tips for before and after Holi that will help you protect your hair and skin from the colours.
Read on and thank me later: 😀 😀
SKIN CARE TIPS – BEFORE HOLI
- It is always advisable to play Holi with natural/ herbal or homemade colours like you can make a yellow colour by mixing Turmeric powder and corn flour. Else buy colours from good brands with all natural ingredients.
- Say No – No any kind of beauty treatment such as facial, bleaching, waxing before Holi because these procedures leave the skin pores open which is absolutely harmful to your skin. Why? During Holi, all the colours can easily seep into your pores.
- Make sure you wear something that covers your body as much as possible so that there will be less of skin exposed. So, less area to remove colour from!!
- The strong chemicals in the colours leave your skin dry, so a thick application of moisturizer on your skin (entire body) is very important before you leave to play Holi. Pamper your skin with loads of moisturizer (Coconut based moisturizers are excellent for your skin) or coconut. This will help you in protecting from the immediate effect of harmful chemicals of colours. Also, this will help in removing colour from your skin more easily. You can use a thick layer of petroleum jelly as well.
- Do not forget to apply sunscreen lotion before you step out to play Holi. Also, take care of your Lips by applying plenty of lip balm (preferably the one contains SPF) before joining the play of colours.
- Trim your hands and feet nails properly and paint them with any dark nail polish. Don’t forget to put petroleum jelly around the cuticles. Remove nail polish once you are home. This will not let any colour residue on your nails.
SKIN CARE TIPS – AFTER HOLI
- Take a quick bath so that the colours come off from your skin easily. Do not take a bath in hot water, as this will make your skin drier. Bath in lukewarm water is recommended. After a bath, make sure to apply plenty of moisturizers to prevent the skin from dryness.
- Wash your face with face wash to wash off the colours from your face and then apply some Aloe Vera gel on your face, which will relax your skin from any harsh effects of chemicals in the colour.
- Do not panic, if some colours do not come out. The colour will fade away with each wash.
- You can rub some coconut or olive oil on your skin to get rid of dry colours. For wet colours, you can rub lemon slices over your skin. Whatever method you use, make sure to apply plenty of moisturizer after wash to prevent your skin from any kind of irritation or dryness.
- Never rub your face vigorously with soap, as it will make your skin absolutely dry. Instead, use a cleansing milk or mild face wash to remove the colour from your face.
HAIR CARE TIPS – BEFORE HOLI
- Make sure you tie up your hair while playing Holi as open hair tends to tangle and damage your hair even more. Holi means more fun!! Don’t go for any boring hairstyles rather make some stylish hairstyle like side braid, high bun.
- To protect your hair from the chemicals of colours and harsh water, massage your hair with loads of coconut oil before you play Holi. The coconut oil acts as a barrier and prevents colours from coming into direct contact with your hair & its roots. That means fewer hair damages.
- You can also wear any cap or turban to protect your hair from direct contact with colours.
HAIR CARE TIPS – AFTER HOLI
- Firstly, wash your hair with plain tepid water so that most of the colour comes off. You can shampoo your hair with mild shampoo afterwards. Don’t worry, if you still see colour on your scalp. Do not wash your hair again and again as it will make your hair drier. The colour will fade day by day.
- If your hair becomes dry, apply plenty of Coconut oil and leave it like that for overnight. Wash your hair next morning with a mild shampoo. The coconut oil is very light that a single wash with shampoo will remove all the colours from your hair. You may also condition your hair after shampoo
P.S- Don’t wear contact lenses, wear specs instead. Also, use shades/sunglasses to protect your eyes.
Hope you found this post helpful. If yes, please share.
Happy Holi to you and your family!
May God spray colours of success and prosperity over you and your family!!
To hear it first, make sure you follow me on